Terlingua Homicide – The Investigation Continues

Tony Flint of Terlingua, Texas was charged with first degree murder on February 5 in the death of Glenn Felts. Glenn, who was killed on February 4, was also a resident of Terlingua and the owner of La Kiva.

As of this morning, February 19, Mr. Flint has still not posted bond and remains in the Brewster County jail in Alpine.

District Attorney Rod Ponton in his office in Ft. Stockton this morning said the case is under investigation and that the evidence test results are pending, as well as written reports from the crime scene.

Ponton also indicated that while the Grand Jury is convened, a date has not yet been set for them to review the evidence. He also stated that full autopsy results are still pending.

Ponton and several of his colleagues will be at the Terlingua location of the Family Crisis Center of the Big Bend tomorrow, February 20, from 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Although the Terlingua Ghost Town itself is a very tight-knit community, Terlingua “proper” covers a lot of ground and yet has less than 500 residents. While Brewster County is the largest county in the state of Texas, it has a population of less than 10,000 and is an environment where residents are especially impacted.

Kirk Meade, Flint’s court-appointed attorney, was contacted this morning but was not making any statements at this time.

Today marks the 3rd week since Felts’ death. The weekly “open mic” night was held at a location other than La Kiva.

A private memorial service will be held this weekend in Terlingua for Felts’ family and close friends. According to Felts’ sister, Molly, the service will be one of celebration, “this is Glenn’s day and it will be happy. Let’s laugh and be grateful that Glenn has touched our lives in so many ways, we can cry on each other’s shoulders later.”

Sharron Reed is a citizen correspondent for KRTS

About Public Radio Staff

Marfa Public Radio
This entry was posted in KRTS News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.