A formal border crossing with Mexico opened a few weeks ago. It links a remote Mexican village with Big Bend National Park in West Texas. The U.S. government, along with Mexican and Canadian partners, is financing a sustainable tourism project in the area. But some locals are skeptical about the need for outside help. Lorne Matalon reports.
Sunday, 29 May, 2016
Today on KRTS
midnight-4 am | Undercurrents, public radio’s freewheeling eclectic music mix of triple A, rock, folk, blues, native, Americana, world, reggae, dub and electronica with host Gregg McVicar
4-5 am | Classical Morning
5-7 am | Concierto, classical music presented in Spanish and English, featuring classical music by Latin American and Spanish composers and musicians
7-10 am | Weekend Edition, wraps up the week’s news and offers a mix of analysis and features on a wide range of topics, including arts, sports, entertainment, and human interest stories
10-12 pm | American Routes, explores the shared musical and cultural threads in blues and jazz, gospel and soul, old-time country and rockabilly, Cajun and zydeco, Tejano and Latin, roots rock and pop, avant-garde and classical and how they are distinguished
12-1 pm | America’s Test Kitchen, a call-in show where the hosts take questions from kitchens around the country, solving problems and touching on a variety of cooking-related topics
1-3 pm | Boy Howdy with Hillie Bills
4-5 pm | All Things Considered, each show consists of the biggest stories of the day, thoughtful commentaries, insightful features on the quirky and the mainstream in arts and life, music and entertainment, all brought alive through sound
5-6 pm | TED Radio Hour, a show based on Talks given by riveting speakers on the world-renowned TED stage, each show is centered on a common theme
6-7 pm | Backstory (with the American History Guys), this show brings historical perspective to the events happening around us today, drilling down to colonial times and earlier, revealing the connections (and disconnections) between past and present
7-8 pm | The Moth, dedicated to storytelling with each show based on a theme that gets explored in different ways to showcase a great range of human experiences
8-9 pm | Bullseye, talk show with Jesse Thorn, new from NPR
9-11 pm | Inter-Dimensional Music*, a transmission of classic New Age, modern psychedelic drone and outer-limits cosmic ambiance
11pm-midnight | Music XWT “Across West Texas”
*Hear Inter-Dimensional Music the first Sunday of each Month; Relevant Tones on the 2nd & 3rd Sunday of the month, and Remote Soundtracks on the 4th Sunday of the month.
NPR Newscasts: Daily at the top of most hours.
Star Date: Daily at 10am and 7pm.
West Texas Talk: Weekdays at 6:30 PM
- May 27: Judd Foundation Hosts Star Party in Marfa
- May 26: Alvin Lucier & Charles Curtis
- May 25: Live From the KRTS Youth Media Listening Party
- May 23: Bob Dylan at 75
- May 17: Remembering Guy Clark
- May 13: Wreckless Eric makes his way to Marfa TX this weekend
- May 12: NPR’s Kelly McEvers on Her New Podcast “Embedded”
- With Shuttles Gone, Private Ventures Give Florida’s Space Coast A Lift
- Texas Women Head to New Mexico for Abortion Services
- Texas Border Protection Officer Accused Of Smuggling Immigrants Into US
- Border Patrol Makes Large Pot Bust South of Alpine
- Authorities Investigating Death in South Brewster County
- For us open office works. Our #marfamove to a 'news bullpen' format. Via @NPR Employees Yearn For Return To Cubicles https://t.co/LPWGO0QXji 06:04:54 PM May 27, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- Via @NPR: With Shuttles Gone, Private Ventures Give Florida's Space Coast A Lift https://t.co/KkQlVa9fp4 Includes @blueorigin of #WestTexas. 09:24:46 AM May 27, 2016 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @traviswesttx: Live #YouthMedia broadcast & listening party @MarfaRadio. Stories reported & produced by #Marfa high schoolers. https://t… 06:51:52 PM May 25, 2016 from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
Get our Newsletter
Who's being interviewed?
When's the next radio party?
Enter your email address to get occasional updates.