(Jimmy Emerson via Flickr CC-BY-NC-ND 2.0)
An explosion at a hunting camp west of Fort Stockton on Monday night injured three people, according to the Pecos County Sheriff’s Office.
Sheriff Cliff Harris says the explosion happened on a ranch about 30 miles west of the city and was caused by a gas leak underneath the house the hunters were staying at.
“When they were lighting the water heater, it ignited and blew up the floor and ceiling,” he said. “There was quite a bit of damage to the house itself.”
The three hunters suffered what Harris described as non-life threatening injuries. “Mostly compound fractures, broken legs,” he said.
The sheriff’s office received a call about the explosion around 9 PM, and the hunters were transported to a hospital in Fort Stockton sometime later that night.