Scott Carrier produces the podcast “Home of the Brave,” and has contributed to several radio and print outlets like “This American Life.” He came to our station as our first producer in residence, a new program we initiated to encourage mentorship of young producers and coverage of the region. In this episode, Elise Pepple talks to Carrier about how he got started in radio, and the story he worked on during his time spent in the Big Bend. You’ll also hear a snippet from Carrier’s first radio story, “The Hitchhiker.” Scott’s story about the border will be available on his podcast, “Home of the Brave.”
Sunday, 23 July, 2017
Today on KRTS
midnight-4 am | Undercurrents, public radio’s freewheeling eclectic music mix of triple A, rock, folk, blues, native, Americana, world, reggae, dub and electronica with host Gregg McVicar
4-5 am | Classical Morning
5-7 am | Concierto, classical music presented in Spanish and English, featuring classical music by Latin American and Spanish composers and musicians
7-10 am | Weekend Edition, wraps up the week’s news and offers a mix of analysis and features on a wide range of topics, including arts, sports, entertainment, and human interest stories
10-12 pm | American Routes, explores the shared musical and cultural threads in blues and jazz, gospel and soul, old-time country and rockabilly, Cajun and zydeco, Tejano and Latin, roots rock and pop, avant-garde and classical and how they are distinguished
12-1 pm | The Splendid Table, public radio’s culinary culture and lifestyle program that celebrates food and its ability to touch the lives and feed the souls of everyone
1-1:30 pm | Fronteras, a collaboration between some Southwest stations that directly impact the area from everything from border issues to immigration and more
1:30-2 pm | Alt.Latino, a voyage across the world in search of the best new Rock en Espanol and Latin Alternative music releases
2-3 pm | PRX Remix
3-4 pm | TED Radio Hour, a show based on Talks given by riveting speakers on the world-renowned TED stage, each show is centered on a common theme
4-5 pm | All Things Considered, each show consists of the biggest stories of the day, thoughtful commentaries, insightful features on the quirky and the mainstream in arts and life, music and entertainment, all brought alive through sound
5-6 pm | Reveal, from The Center for Investigative Reporting
6-7 pm | On Being, a show that takes up the big questions of meaning with scientists and theologians, artists and teachers — some you know and others you’ll love to meet
7-8 pm | The Moth, dedicated to storytelling with each show based on a theme that gets explored in different ways to showcase a great range of human experiences
8-9 pm | Bullseye, talk show with Jesse Thorn, new from NPR
9-11 pm | Inter-Dimensional Music / Remote Soundtracks*
11pm-midnight | Music XWT “Across West Texas”
*Hear Inter-Dimensional Music(a transmission of classic New Age, modern psychedelic drone and outer-limits cosmic ambiance) the first Sunday of each Month, and Remote Soundtracks(an exploration of pastoral, gothic, and sublime themes in music and sound featuring experimental, devotional, and indigenous compositions) on the 4th Sunday of the month.
NPR Newscasts: Daily at the top of most hours.
Star Date: Daily at 10am and 7pm.
West Texas Talk: Weekdays at 6:30 PM
- Jul 21: Patrick Rosal
- Jul 20: Murray Forman
- Jul 19: Visitors from UTSA are Conducting a Historic Structure Report on the Blackwell School
- Jul 18: Kade Twist Recounts the Making of “Repellent Fence”
- Jul 14: Andrew Shapter Revisits the Porvenir Massacre in Documentary and Feature-Length Film
- Jul 13: Chef Hugo Ortega
- Jul 12: Libby Campbell, Executive Director of the West Texas Food Bank
- Before The Tea Party And The Alt-Right, There Was The John Birch Society. Now They’re Back In Texas.
- In West Texas, the Sand Dunes of Monahans are a Geological Wonder
- House Committee on Agriculture Stresses the Need for Rural Broadband
- Price Per Acre for Land in Far West Texas is Down, but Sales Are Up
- Western Swing Dance w/ Bobby Flores August 26th!
- RT @NPR: White House press secretary Sean Spicer has resigned, according to multiple media reports. UPDATING: https://t.co/q0HzKmhTqq https… 11:43:38 AM July 21, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @JohnSavageTX: Spoke with @TexasStandard re: #JohnBirchSociety in #texas Listen here (starts at 33:17) #txlege @POLITICOMag https://t.co… 10:54:29 AM July 21, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- The House Committee on Agriculture is stressing the need for rural broadband https://t.co/nlzrN0MSB6 https://t.co/UxfD7nvjm2 10:49:34 AM July 21, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Get our Newsletter
Who's being interviewed?
When's the next radio party?
Enter your email address to get occasional updates.
NPR Latest News
NPR Music News