On this West Texas Talk, we sit down with Roger Allen Polson, who co-authored the book Miles and Miles of Texas: 100 Years of the Texas Highway Department with Carol Dawson. The book takes us through the history of the Texas Highway Department, and through that, the history of Texas. As Polson says, Texas is full of characters, and the highway department is no exception. In fact, the story of the highway department is filled with drama and stories. Polson talks history, his favorite highway and more.
Sunday, 19 November, 2017
Today on KRTS
midnight-4 am | Undercurrents, public radio’s freewheeling eclectic music mix of triple A, rock, folk, blues, native, Americana, world, reggae, dub and electronica with host Gregg McVicar
4-5 am | Classical Morning
5-7 am | Concierto, classical music presented in Spanish and English, featuring classical music by Latin American and Spanish composers and musicians
7-10 am | Weekend Edition, wraps up the week’s news and offers a mix of analysis and features on a wide range of topics, including arts, sports, entertainment, and human interest stories
10-12 pm | American Routes, explores the shared musical and cultural threads in blues and jazz, gospel and soul, old-time country and rockabilly, Cajun and zydeco, Tejano and Latin, roots rock and pop, avant-garde and classical and how they are distinguished
12-1 pm | The Splendid Table, public radio’s culinary culture and lifestyle program that celebrates food and its ability to touch the lives and feed the souls of everyone
1-1:30 pm | Fronteras, a collaboration between some Southwest stations that directly impact the area from everything from border issues to immigration and more
1:30-2 pm | Alt.Latino, a voyage across the world in search of the best new Rock en Espanol and Latin Alternative music releases
2-3 pm | On the Media
3-4 pm | TED Radio Hour, a show based on Talks given by riveting speakers on the world-renowned TED stage, each show is centered on a common theme
4-5 pm | All Things Considered, each show consists of the biggest stories of the day, thoughtful commentaries, insightful features on the quirky and the mainstream in arts and life, music and entertainment, all brought alive through sound
5-6 pm | Reveal, from The Center for Investigative Reporting
6-7 pm | On Being, a show that takes up the big questions of meaning with scientists and theologians, artists and teachers — some you know and others you’ll love to meet
7-8 pm | The Moth, dedicated to storytelling with each show based on a theme that gets explored in different ways to showcase a great range of human experiences
8-9 pm | Fresh Air Weekend
9-11 pm | Inter-Dimensional Music / Remote Soundtracks / PRX Remix*
11pm-midnight | Le Show
*Hear Inter-Dimensional Music(a transmission of classic New Age, modern psychedelic drone and outer-limits cosmic ambiance) the first Sunday of each Month, and Remote Soundtracks(an exploration of pastoral, gothic, and sublime themes in music and sound featuring experimental, devotional, and indigenous compositions) on the 4th Sunday of the month. PRX Remix broadcasts on the 2nd and 3rd Sundays.
NPR Newscasts: Daily at the top of most hours.
Star Date: Daily at 10am and 7pm.
West Texas Talk: Weekdays at 6:30 PM
- Nov 17: Hospice Midland’s Jacquie Burklow Discusses the End of Life
- Nov 16: Historian John Klingemann on the Mexican Revolution
- Nov 15: Geologist Peter Hennings on Texas Earthquakes
- Nov 14: Professor Rebecca Babcock On Writing Centers and Disabilities
- Nov 10: Kathleen Shafer – Author of “Marfa: The Transformation of a West Texas Town”
- Nov 09: Veterans Tell Their Stories
- Nov 08: Health Care in Rural Areas & Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment
- @bust_boom @LeMenagerUO 12:34:59 PM September 27, 2017 from Twitter Web Client in reply to MarfaRadio ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @bust_boom: Two very exciting things we have going on in the upcoming weeks! Check it out: https://t.co/aitW8hfBXr 12:34:27 PM September 27, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
- On tonight's West Texas Talk, we speak to Stephanie LeMenager about energy and culture. Tune in at 6:30 to hear the… https://t.co/iS150viEJG 11:07:29 AM September 27, 2017 from Twitter Web Client ReplyRetweetFavorite
Get our Newsletter
Who's being interviewed?
When's the next radio party?
Enter your email address to get occasional updates.
NPR Latest News
NPR Music News